Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Graduation

As I sit at my little brothers graduation, I think about how wonderfully ignorant some of the children about to walk out these doors are. They have their heads held high. Their feet walking in stride and an overwhelming sense of accomplisment. That they should. They seem like a great group of kids in their red gowns and caps. Though they have no clue as to what is going to smack them in the face over the next few years. It reminds me of sitting at a friends house in what was supposed to be my senior year of high school while they told me to just hang myself as I walked down the stairs of the stage. They were bitter. I myself am not. I've led a tremendous 29 years so far and though the past feww have seemed to be the hardest. They have been the best. Hey have taught me who I have in my life. Nevermind that. Back to these kids. They see themselves making impacts on the world at large in ways you read about in books and see in movies. I wish I could tell them they will do more than that. They will wake up tomorrow or 4 years from now and become the work force of tomorrow. They will employ small businesses maybe large ones. They will drive on the road and let someone else in their lane. Thhey will let someonee go ahead of them in line. They will hold the door open for someone. They will give birth or raise the chiildren that will fill the schools they graduated from. They will live. It is an amazingly simplistic life we lead. And while we search for the right quote and the right line to say to leave a crowd of people thinkig of the meaning of life. Something in me has clicked recently and realize our lives are already accomplished when we are born... Not in a religious god has our plan figured kind of way. But in a way that while we have no idea what we are doing... We are doing something greater than saving the planet for tomorrow... We are making out surrounding 3 feet of our own space.. A great place for someone to visit.